Friday, November 7, 2008

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies


This is my cookies #2 that I tested
to make for my in-laws.
If you love chocolate and coffee,
this is the cookie for you.
It has a bit of a chewy texture (instead of crispy).
The coffee isn't overwhelmingly bitter.
Even my girls love it.
They said it tasted like brownies.
And it does!
I put coffee granules in my brownies to bring out
the chocolate flavor.
The first dozen that came out of my oven,
were gone within the hour!
Yum!

Most important,
it is so easy to make.
Idiot proof.
The next time I'll do this,
I think some kind of nuts added like pecans and walnuts,
will be good too.



Recipe taken from Tastes of Home Magazine.

Yields: 3 dozen

3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) butter, cubed
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules ( I used Nescafe)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In a small heavy saucepan, melt the unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup chocolate chips,
and butter with coffee granules;
stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; Set aside to cool.

2. In a small mixing bowl, beat sugar and eggs for 3 minutes
or until thick and lemon-colored.
Beat in the chocolate mixture.
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the chocolate mixture.
Stir in remaining chips.

3. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inch apart onto greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and tops cracked.
COol for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.

3 comments:

Piee and JSBanana said...

This looks fabulous...I'm tempted to make it this weekend. =)

Anonymous said...

hi. i tried this out and the mixture was so watery that i had to add another cup of flour! and that worked.

Sri said...

Mine turned out just fine. I followed the recipe to the T. It's gonna be gooey, not watery nor doughy. And when it baked, it's gonna set into a chewy, cakey texture.