Sunday, December 21, 2008

Potato Latkes


These latkes caused me
so much
anguish
a few days ago.

I had to make 2 dozen latkes
for Jules' Hanukkah class party
at her pre-school,
last Wednesday.
Well,
I didnt want to make
it the nite before,
because
I didnt want it to be soggy
on the day of the party.
Nor do I want to
prep it
too early,
for the fear that the
potatoes will turned brown.
I pooh-poohed at the idea
of using frozen latkes..
or using one of those instant mixes.
Oh please!
Me?
Never!
So, there I was,
rushing...
with only 45 minutes to spare
to make 2 dozen of these suckers
whilst keeping
one eye on my 18 month old baby,
who was constantly
trying to climb onto my
dining chair.
Not fun.

However,
they turned out pretty good.
I kept them pretty traditional,
using only potatoes, onions, eggs
and matzo meal.
Although I would like
to add spring onions,
I feared that the kids wouldnt
like it.
You know how 4 year olds are.
They see green things
in their food,
they freak out!
:D

Anyway,
I like my latkes with chilli sauce.
I know.
I can't hide the Asian in me.
:D

Enjoy!
And Happy Holidays!

Recipe taken from the Food Network.

5 large russet potatoes, peeled
1 medium onion
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup matzo meal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup canola oil, for frying
Directions
Grate potatoes and onion into a bowl or pulse in food processor. Drain any excess liquid, then add the eggs, matzo meal, salt and pepper.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon the mixture into hot oil forming small pancakes. Cook until underside is golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook until other side is golden and potatoes are cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Serve hot with sour cream or applesauce.

2 comments:

jillian said...

These look fabulous! I love latkes, and these look perfectly cooked.
Thanks for checking out my macaroons. I just dipped them in chocolate :)

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! I like it with strawberry applesauce.